Search marketing (SEM) still feels like a dark art. Google are secretive about how bids are priced (cf. the AdWords’ Quality Score debacle), while
Overture Yahoo Search Marketing is lumbered with an oblique editorial policy and a terrible interface (until Panama launches, at least).
That means it’s tricky for newbies to get started with pay per click (PPC) – and that’s before you’ve found the wealth of bad advice to contend with. Just Google ‘AdWords ebook‘ for countless fast ways to waste $100.
There is an easier way – just follow my five steps to AdWords nirvana:
- Start by reading How to Cheat Google Adwords Select, an introduction far better than the hysterical tabloid headline. (Update: Sitepoint have seen sense and changed the headline).
- Take Winning Results with Google AdWords as your bible. Tips on such a fast-moving sector date quickly, but Andrew Goodman’s bedrock advice is sound. It’s heavy on the history of PPC, so feel free to skip early chapters.
- Read every word of the AdWords library, Inside AdWords blog and AdWords Google Group.
- Join the outstanding WebmasterWorld AdWords forum for pay per click secrets from the finest minds in the industry, including Google’s very own AdWords Advisor. and Brad ‘eWhisper‘ Geddes
- Avoid any ebook pairing the phrase ‘Google AdWords’ with ‘instant wealth’, ‘make millions’ or ‘work from home’.
Finally, leave a comment and let me know how you get along.